The HP Printer Filter Failed error may indicate that something is wrong with the device. So you might not be able to use it. This particular error may mean that your printer’s filter may not be compatible with the version of the operating system you are using on Mac or Windows. Therefore, you may see a filter failure error message on the printer screen. Therefore, you will not be able to print anything or the print you are getting may not be of the quality you want.
To resolve the Filter Failed error, you can try to manually install your printer driver, reset the default printer settings, and change the Print and Paper settings. Through this blog, we will try to give you a better understanding of the causes and fixes for filter failure problems in HP printers.
What does a filter failure mean on my HP printer?
A filter failure issue on your HP printer means that this part may not be able to convert your file data into compatible, printable data. The main function of your printer filter is to convert the data type of your content to another data format acceptable to your HP device. Failure to do so can generate failed HP Printer Filter error on Mac, Windows, Ubuntu, etc.
Why HP Printer Filter Failed Error
A situation where the filter fails in HP printers in Mac OS or Windows can be due to:
- You may have installed the printer drivers incorrectly.
- Incorrect paper settings can cause this problem.
- The sharing option may have been disabled on your device.
How to Fix HP Printer Filter Failure Error?
HP printer filter failure can be resolved by resetting the device settings and changing the paper loading settings. Other fixes for the Filter Failed error are to manually install the printer drivers and ensure that the Sharing option is enabled.
You can read detailed versions of fixes and quickly fix filter failed issues on HP printers below.
Method 1: Reinstall Printer Drivers
Reinstalling the drivers may fix the Filter failed error on your HP device. You will need to remove your printer connection from your computer and then reconnect it. You will need to download the updated version of the drivers through HP’s official website. You can install the printer driver by following the on-screen instructions.
If you still need help fixing your device’s faulty filter by reinstalling the relevant drivers, you can read more here:
- Click “System Information”.
- Then go to the “Printers” option.
- Here you will be able to see the drivers installed on your printer.
- Remove the HP device that you think is causing the problem.
- Reconnect the printer to your desktop.
- Download and install the latest version of HP printer drivers.
After installing the updated drivers, your device’s filter failure issue should have been resolved.
Method 2: Enable Share option
Enabling the sharing option connects your printer and your system. This option can be found in your Windows computer’s system settings. To access these settings, you can open Control Panel.
You can also do the same by following the steps mentioned here:
- Open “Control Panel” through the “Start” menu.
- Go to “System Settings”.
- Click on the “Share” option.
- Enter the name of your system to pair with the printer.
- Then click “Exit”.
Once you are done, restart your computer one more time for the changes you made to take effect.
Method 3: Change Paper Settings
Filter failure errors can also be caused by incorrect paper settings. You can change the paper settings by previewing the document you want to print. Then click on the TIFF option in the dialog box and save your changes. Export your PDF document via the TIFF option. Uncheck the Alpha option and save the changes again. You can then easily print your document.
We’ve given a detailed look at all the instructions you can follow to run this fix:
- When printing a PDF file, open the PDF file’s “Main Menu” in the dialog box.
- Go to the “Preview” section to open the PDF.
- Click the “File” menu to open it, then click the “Save…” option.
- Then a format dialog box will open on your screen. Select the “TIFF” option from it.
- Open the “Resolution” window and click the “Pixels/inches” button.
- Enter “600” in the blank space provided.
- Click on the “Save” option to save the changes.
- Go through the main menu to the “File” menu and then to “Export to…”.
- Again, click the “TIFF” option in the “Format” dialog box.
- Uncheck the “Alpha” box and click the “Save” option.
- Select the “File” option and then click the “Print” button.
Once you have completed all the above steps, choose the correct paper size and dimensions and complete the printer settings. Then reinstall the printer drivers in your system.
How Do I Troubleshoot HP Printer Filter Failing on Mac?
When your HP Printing Machine Filter shows failure while using it on your Mac computer, you can reset its settings. This is possible through System Preferences. As soon as the settings are reset, the causes of the error will be removed.
For details on this improvement, you can read further.
Method 1: Reset your HP printer settings on Mac
In the case where the HP printer filter problem fails on Mac, you may prefer to reset the settings. To do this, you can access System Preferences on your Apple PC. In Print and Scan, you can locate the Reset Printing option. After that, you need to log in as an administrator. Eventually, you’ll be able to reset your HP printer settings.
- Click on the “Apple” icon
- Press the “System Preferences” button.
- Find the “Print & Scan” or “Print & Fax” option in the “Preferences” menu.
- You will get the option “Reset Printing” after clicking in the blank text field of the printer list.
- There will be a “Reset” option in the confirmation dialog. Click on it.
- Log in to the system as “Administrator” using the respective login credentials.
- Click on the “OK” option.
- Wait until the system reboots and you don’t see any available devices in the “Printers” list.
- Go to “System Preferences”.
- Select the “Printers and Scanners” option.
- Select the “Add (+)” button from the “Printers and Scanners” menu.
- Here you will see the list of all printers, select your HP device by clicking on it.
- After you’ve connected your HP printer to your computer, you’ll need to click the “Print Using” button. The “AirPrint” option will be selected by default.
In a nutshell, we can say that filter failed issues on your HP printer can be caused by improper installation of printer drivers and incorrect paper settings of the printer. You can fix the Filter Failed error on your device by reinstalling the printer drivers manually and reconnecting with the system. We hope that we were able to solve your problem and provide you with some additional information. If you liked our blog, please share it with others as well. Here you can also find a detailed guide to fix HP Instant ink not working.