Epson ink tank printers are popular for their affordability and strong performance. However, these Epson printers develop errors that can be difficult to resolve unless you know the exact solution. Calling an Epson service engineer is not the preferred solution for most users. One of these errors is the Epson printer error code 000031 paper jam problem. In this guide, we’ll explore the reasons that led to this Epson error, and more importantly, you’ll learn how to fix the problem. Epson printer error code 000031 paper jam.
What Causes Epson Printer Error Code 000031?
There can be many reasons why an Epson printer can have error code 000031.
- Paper Jam: When this error is displayed in the Epson Status Monitor, it clearly indicates that there is a paper jam in the printer, which is causing this error. Sometimes this is true and fixing the problem can restore your Epson printer to normal operation.
- Local Ink Refill: This error can also occur when you refill your Epson ink tank with local brand ink instead of genuine Epson ink. The printer detects poor-quality ink immediately and stops printing.
- Improper Waste Ink Disposal: Epson ink tank printers have a waste ink disposal mechanism. When this mechanism is not working properly and is not able to effectively remove the waste ink, you may experience the Epson printer error code 000031.
As you can see there are many reasons that can cause this error code, but for all reasons, you will see the same error code number, which is ‘000031’ and the Epson Status Monitor will show the same reason, which is ‘Paper Jam’ ‘ Is ‘.
Try Some Easy Tricks to Fix Epson Printer Error Code 000031 First
You should try simple solutions for this error before moving on to complex solutions.
1) Remove the jammed paper
If this error suddenly occurred while printing with your Epson printer, the print paper might have jammed while printing. You can fix this problem by following the steps mentioned below.
- Cancel all current print jobs on your computer.
- Open the front cover of your printer and gently remove the jammed paper. Be sure to carefully remove any pieces from the print paper in case the paper gets damaged when you remove it.
- Close the front cover.
- Now restart your printer and try printing again.
If the above solution doesn’t work or doesn’t apply to your case, then move on to the next solution.
2) Original Epson Ink Refill
If you recently refilled your Epson ink tank with new ink, check that the ink you used is from a genuine Epson ink bottle and not from a local ink supplier. If you have refilled with local quality ink, then you should empty your ink tanks and refill them with genuine Epson ink, and the Epson printer paper jam problem will be resolved.
If none of the above solutions worked for you then move on to the next solution as this will definitely fix this problem permanently.
How to Fix Epson Printer Error Code 000031 Paper Jam Problem
Since this error was not caused by a paper jam or poor-quality ink in your printer, most likely you are facing this error because your Epson printer is not able to properly dispose of its waste ink. Don’t worry, you can fix this problem by following the solution given below.
1) The Equipment you need
To perform this repair, you will need two tools:
- A Phillips screwdriver.
- A Needle.
2) Steps to Follow
To fix the Epson printer error code 000031 paper jam problem, follow the steps below in their exact order.
- When your printer encounters this problem, its power light and two red lights will flash continuously. This is a sign that your printer is not working. Therefore, turn off your printer.
- Disconnect all connecting cables, both the power cable and the USB cable, from your printer.
- Go to the right back side of your printer and open the waste ink pad cover.
- After removing the screws, push the cover back to remove the cover.
- Now you can see the used ink pad box. Unscrew the bottom screw to be able to remove this box.
- Once the screw is removed. Carefully remove the box. Don’t put too much pressure.
- If you remove the box properly, it will come out easily.
- Once the box is removed, you will see a cavity that has a top cover on it.
- Lower this top cover and you can see a hidden screw that secures this cover to the printer.
- Unscrew the connection screw using your Phillips screwdriver.
- After detaching the top cover from the printer. Slowly lower the cover lid down.
- You will be able to see a black pipe attached to the lid. This hose carries the waste ink from the print head to the waste ink pad box. Slowly take out that black pipe.
- Attach the syringe to the open end of the Black Waste ink tube and try to draw ink from the tube into the syringe. After a few sucks, you’ll notice that ink has collected in the syringe.
- Once all the ink has been collected. Detach the syringe from the black tube and throw it in the trash.
- Carefully reattach the black pipe to the top cover as it was attached prior to step 12.
- Screw the top cover back onto the printer.
- Replace the used ink pad box and screw it back onto the printer.
- Replace the used ink pad printer cover and screw it on.
- Connect the power cable and USB cable to your printer. Restart your printer and the red light will no longer blink. This is a clear indication that you have successfully resolved the Epson printer error code 000031 paper jam problem.
- Now try to print and copy a few pages and you will find that your Epson printer works normally.
How to Avoid Epson Printer Error Code 000031?
You can avoid this problem by taking some precautions:
- Use good quality print paper of the sizes and dimensions supported by your Epson printer. This will help you avoid paper jams.
- Always fill the ink tank with ink from a genuine Epson ink bottle.
- Clean the printhead regularly to maintain proper disposal of waste ink.
Now you know how to fix the Epson printer error code 000031 paper jam problem. However, since the ultimate solution to this problem requires hardware repair, it may be difficult for some users. In this case, they should contact Epson support. Also, if none of the above solutions work for you, you should contact an Epson service engineer as there might be something else causing this error.